Ontario is strengthening its correctional system by hiring 59 new correctional officers who have completed the redesigned Corrections Foundational Training. This modernized training program places increased emphasis on key areas such as human rights, mental health, health and safety, and teamwork. These recent graduates are part of the government’s commitment to invest more than $500 million over five years to hire over 500 new correctional workers and modernize outdated infrastructure.
“Correctional officers make a vital contribution to Ontario’s justice system and are essential in keeping our communities safe,” said Solicitor General Sylvia Jones. “I would like to congratulate this year’s graduates for their hard work and commitment to serving the people of Ontario.”
The training took place virtually and in-person, providing officers with institution-based training, including more job-specific case studies and scenario-based learning with an emphasis on anti-Black racism, Indigenous cultural training and inmate management techniques. This new approach builds critical-thinking, decision-making and problem-solving skills so graduates are better prepared to respond to real life situations. The training also focuses on improved communication and de-escalation skills.
The graduates will be assigned to 11 different institutions across Ontario near their home regions:
- Nine graduates will support the Northern region at Central North Correctional Centre, Thunder Bay Correctional Centre, and Thunder Bay Jail.
- Nine graduates will be working in the Western Region at Elgin-Middlesex Detention Centre, and Sarnia Jail.
- Eighteen will work in the Central Region at Maplehurst Correctional Complex, Niagara Detention Centre, and Vanier Centre for Women.
- Twenty-two will work in the Toronto Region at Toronto East Detention Centre and Toronto South Detention Centre.
- One graduate will support the Eastern Region at Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre.
Read the entire news release here.
Ministry of the Solicitor General
July 24, 2020