- Provincial Committee
- Regional & Local Committees
Regional and Local HSJCCs
Haliburton-Kawartha Lakes-Pine Ridge
Northwest Regional Centre of Responsibility
- Our Work
- Biennial Conference
- This event has passed.
Understanding Opioids: Methods for Prevention & Response
May 30 @ 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm
Drug poisoning rates have been consistently increasing in our community and across the country. We can all play a role in turning this crisis around.
In this course, you will learn how to recognize and respond to an opioid overdose/poisoning by administering naloxone, a life-saving medication that can temporarily reverse an opioid overdose/poisoning. We will discuss the history of opioid-related issues within the Canadian context, the harms associated with opioid use, and the impact these have on the current drug poisoning crisis. Whether you are a working professional or an interested community member, this session will help you gain knowledge and skills that can be applied in a variety of settings.
- Understand the current context of the drug poisoning crisis.
- Understand the Pillars of Harm Reduction approach to substance use.
- Recognize stigmatizing language and commit to breaking down barriers through anti-stigma.
- Recognize the signs of an opioid overdose/poisoning.
- Know the 5 Steps to Save a Life, using Naloxone.