The Provincial HSJCC Conference Planning Committee invites you to submit
an abstract for presentation at the 2019 Conference “Colouring Outside the
Lines: Innovations and Creative Community Responses”.
The HSJCC Network is a dynamic, voluntary collaboration between over 1600
professionals from across the human services and justice sectors. Together, at
the Local, Regional and Provincial levels, they coordinate resources and plan
more effectively for people with unique needs who are in conflict with the law.
The Provincial HSJCC Conference is the network’s premiere educational event
– bringing together more than 400 professionals from across the human
services and justice sector to share promising practices, build cross-sector
networks and engage in solutions for the people they serve. Attendees
benefit from a richly engrossing program that leaves them better equipped
and inspired to meet the needs of Ontarians.
The Conference Committee is seeking abstracts from individuals or agencies
across Ontario who can contribute solution-focused knowledge, expertise,
innovative and best practices that can enhance, complement or expand
services and systems currently in place.
The conference program will reflect a range of themes while showcasing work
being done on the frontlines, within the Human Service and Justice Sectors.
Colouring outside the lines encourages us to look beyond societal barriers
and help those with diverse needs. Our clients are marginalized and
multilayered and to assist them we must challenge ourselves to see beyond
societal barriers, silos and fiscal restraints.
Colouring outside the lines encourages us to create innovative approaches,
unique collaborations and new structures that will bring hope and progress
to our clients.
Colour a new line and a new perspective.
Abstracts related to the following streams will be accepted:
• SPECIAL POPULATIONS (Variety of Disability Populations, Seniors (Dementia),
Youth, LGBTQ2S, Indigenous People)
• MODELS/FRAMEWORKS FOR BETTER COLLABORATION:
HSJCC Committees, Membership Engagement Plan, Crisis Tables, Building Capacity,
Advocate, Situation Tables
• INNOVATION AND CREATIVE COMMUNITY RESPONSE:
New projects, outside the box, unusual community partner/collaborations, HSJCC work
that might fit in this stream, other initiatives that are collaborative, social navigator
project and restorative justice
• RESILIENCY FOR THE PROFESSIONAL:
Self-care, Loss, Death & Dying, Medical Assistance with Dying (MAiD), Compassion
Fatigue/Vicarious Trauma, the Ones that Got Away, Professional Grieving and
The Provincial HSJCC Conference Planning Committee is accepting
abstracts for the following conference formats:
• CONCURRENT PRESENTATIONS: 60 OR 90 MINUTES IN LENGTH
• POSTER PRESENTATIONS
Instructions for Abstract Submission
Online Submission Link:
Submitting Your Abstract
Complete the following information:
• Identify the stream and area of interest
• Title of Presentation (relevant to submission/focus of your presentation)
• Educational Objectives
• Name(s) of presenter(s) as you would like them to appear in the conference program
• Identify Format: 60 or 90-minute Concurrent Session or Poster Presentation
• Key Contact Information (address, email and telephone number)
• Biography of each presenter (50 words or less)
• Abstract suitable for inclusion in the conference program (sales pitch/description
of your presentation)
• Keypoints that will be in your powerpoints or an outline of your presentation
• Presentation method details (also include audio/visual equipment required, room
set up preference, etc.)
All submissions will be evaluated using the following criteria:
• Relevance to the conference theme
• Clarity and coherence of the submission
• Contribution of knowledge, expertise or best practices
• Relevance and utility to participants
• Evidence that submission will encourage interaction among conference participants
• Key points of presentation and evidence of “participant take-away”
Acceptance as a Presenter:
Please note: Presenters must be paid registrants. Honoraria and travel reimbursement
are not available.
An electronic version of the presentation must be submitted to the event manager shortly
before the conference for posting to the Provincial HSJCC website and to pre-load at the
Presenters will be provided with a designated time to present by the conference
Presenter(s) may submit multiple abstracts for the conference
Call for Abstracts Opens: JANUARY 21, 2019
Abstract Submission Deadline: APRIL 26, 2019
Results Notification: MAY 17, 2019
We look forward to receiving your abstract submission!
For any questions regarding the abstract submission process, please contact:
Sherry Sim, Event Manager
Innovative Business Solutions